Application and acceptance process
To apply for a Ph.D. at SPC please fill-in this form SPC-PHD-Application-Form and send it together with Curriculum Vitae, Motivation letter, List of bachelor and master exams and grades, to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time of the year.
The application form requires:
- motivation letter
- complete CV with publication list
- list of bachelor and master exams and grades
- name and email address of three referees willing to write a recommendation letter (we will ask for the letter, if necessary).
We will then decide on an invitation for an interview. We might do a first step via remote conferencing (e.g., Skype). If we decide to pursue the candidature further, the candidate
- is invited to visit SPC in Lausanne for a day (at our expenses),
- give a seminar,
- pass an academic interview (a discussion on basic physics concepts directly or indirectly related to plasma physics),
- meet the present graduate students, and
- discuss potential thesis topics with senior researchers.
A final answer on acceptance to our program is generally given a few days after the visit.
Enrollment in the EPFL Doctoral School is mandatory. Applications can proceed in parallel with the interview process at SPC (see http://phd.epfl.ch/application).